Monday, October 31, 2011

Trains, Haifa and Gilad Shalit.

I had thought about adding the Jerusalem Archelogical Park, but that might be a post all in its self.

Martin and I wanted to see Haifa.  We debated about taking the bus or the train.  Since I have a facination with trains, the train decision was obvious.  We took the train to Savidor Center in Tel Aviv.  When Martin and I left Israel, we had not figured out which platform to be at for the correct train.  I will have to find a time table book (which I saw different people looking at.)

I like the open layout of the stations.  Here is the Savidor Center:






Martin and I sat back for the long ride ahead.  The countryside was amazing.  I have traveled across the United States many times, but nothing compares to Israel.  This picture was taken just south of Haifa (not the best photo):





Martin and I took the bus up to The Colony Hotel (thanks Sheli for the sugguestion) not far from the Haifa HaShmona station.  I was very impressed with the neighborhood around The Colony.  Should I ever have a house built, I would like it to look similar to The Colony.  Here is a front view of The Colony:




Here is a view looking out of the room:




Martin sure enjoyed the room as well:




Here is the view looking (north) towards the Port of Haifa:




Although I am not fond of the Bahai Shrine, I still found it amazing to look at:




Martin took a tour of the of the Bahai Shrine the next morning.  I sat near the train station waiting for him afterwards.  We boarded the train for the long ride back to Jerusalem.  I was not used to having security check at a train station, but then I remembered where I was.  The view from the train (again) was priceless.  Here is a view of the Mediteranian Sea:




Living in the United States, media coverage of issues in the Middle East are spotty at best.  I had hear about the situation with Israeli soldier Gilead Shalit.  The majority of the news that I heard from was through my friend Uri Gobey and his Israel Muse News blog on FaceBook.  I was a bit angered at times, becase what happens in the Middle East effects the Western World.  Martin and I passed by this tent vigal for Gilead Shalit many times while we stayed in Jerusalem:






I continued to follow Gilead Shalit through the Israel Muse News blog, and was finally happy to learn that he was finally released.




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful.. I also went to Israel and felt the same way that you did.. it is an Amazing Country and its like a Fairy Tale trip.. We also took the Same train .. and then went from the Train Station to the Bus and went to The Golan Heights Wineries and we went all the way to Lake Kennerit.. we dropped my daughter off in Karmiel and Spot. Then we went back to my cousin's in Hertzalyia.. another day we went to Modin , and another day we went to Tel Aviv and Jaffa .. Then we headed South to the Dead Sea and Massada .. and we just loved every minute of our trip.. If I live long enough.. ( I am 77 yrs, old) I want to go back.. before I die.. Oh , yes , I loved Jerusalem and Ben Yehuda Street and The Wall and Yad Vashem .. we went to and Mo'din and I have never had such a wonderful time in my life.. Your Trip was amazing too!! Thanks for sharing.. I loved seeing everything again..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did enjoy the trip well. I found it difficult to come back to the USA. I plan on coming back soon.

    ReplyDelete